Sunday, August 26, 2012

Writers Corner #1






I hate Twilight *plain and simple* and I believe most of the comic book community does too. Twilight has this weird way of messing with peoples minds, and forcing you to become a slave of its sheer allure. I myself used to be a major "Twitard" and its all because Stephanie Meyer did an amazing job at getting girls to see themselves as Bella so they live out Bella's perfect life complete with a sexy sparkly fairy vampire. When I was a twilight fan I was more certifiably insane than I am now. Twilight took over my life practically. I talked Twilight, dreamt Twilight, took crazy pictures with Edward Cullen cardboard cutouts, and sadly the strong influence of Twilight began to take control of my writing. Before I was a Twilight fan I basically wrote fantasy/adventure novels *very poor ones to be honest* but Twilight gave me the crazy idea "Hey...Paranormal fantasy is popular. That can't be too hard to write". So I decided to take a swing at the "Forbidden Genre" using Twilight as the basis for the story.

   Despite my mind being full of terrible *and sometimes not appropriate* Twilight thoughts, I was smart enough to not include the cliche paranormal romance figures *basicly werewolves and vampires*. In order to do "research" I decided to flip on the Travel channel and watch a special on paranormal creatures seen across America. I had to find something that I could easily turn into something attractive *and dark and brooding*. Sasquatch and aliens were too predictable, and merpeople is wrong *even though it does fit into the bestiality category that Twilight loves*. My options were growing thin but my eye managed to catch the creature that nobody would ever expect to see in any kind of Young Adult Paranormal romance. I "Twilightified" Moth man. I turned him from the terrifying creature of the night into a good looking grey skinned man with a black mask/bodysuit with bright red eyes and large moth-like wings. Yeah....it was THAT bad.
 
The premise was simple to be honest.  In 1967, A young and antisocial girl named Valerie moves to West Virginia.   Soon she is swept up in a war between two different races of moth men.  It would have ended with The Silver Bridge collapsing and both our main characters being killed together. Sort of a downer ending, but I enjoy writing downer endings. It also would explain why Moth Man disappeared after the bridge collapse. I remember after reading the first couple chapters going “Wow….I just destroyed this creature". I quickly abandoned that idea out of sheer fear that if I ever posted it onto my old blog I'd get ripped to shreds by both Twilight fans and the entire state of West Virginia.  Recently I have thought of maybe redoing it but taking out the sappy romance story and have it sole focus on a more accurate interpretation of Moth Man and his connection with the bridge collapse but for now my poor Moth Man story is left abandoned.

 Keep Calm and Continue Fangirling


No comments:

Post a Comment